If you have visited Rather Be Reading within the past six months, more than likely you’ve heard me raving about Marisa Calin’s Between You & Me. This was an ARC that Magan sent to me pretty randomly. I reminded myself to start it in August, and never in my wildest dreams did I think this book would make me feel the way I did.
In fact, I read it twice.
The book is about a girl named Phyre and her best friend (although we have no idea if her best friend is a male or a female) and their sweet friendship that becomes a bit strained when she starts crushing on her enchanting theater teacher. And best of all? The book is written in screenplay style, a brave choice that I think really worked here.
Between You & Me is a book I already have hidden under my bed for a lucky receiver of my Christmas presents, and while I’m not doing a “themed gift pack” for this individual, I love the idea of one. Themed gifts are the best. And bonus, if you decided to grab all of these items at once… it’s pretty darn affordable for a really thoughtful gift.
I hope you like!
1. The iconic heart glasses (under 10 dollars at Buy.com): The cover of this book so perfectly matches what is inside. Phyre is character who becomes very oblivious to the thoughts/feelings of her best friend, and her best friend is also the one who gives her these silly glasses. (Which I love.)
2. When Harry Met Sally DVD ($3.99 from Amazon): The classic film about best friends who fall in love with each other. This movie isn’t mentioned in the novel at all, but in some ways I think the sentiments are the same. (Plus it’s a great movie.)
3. Brown Leather Journal ($12.95 from B&N): When Phyre’s theater teacher suggests they start a journal to better understand the characters they are playing, one appears on her desk the next day. To me, a journal is always a great gift and the leather makes it extra special.
4. Julep Nail Color in Sabrina ($14): This pick for the gift pack is all about Phyre’s name and the use of extreme light in the book. It’s one detail I loved, and something that wouldn’t necessarily be a part of a screenplay but I loved Calin for throwing it in there. For the record, Julep is my favorite nail polish at the moment!
5. Mini Candles at Bath & Body Works (2 for $5): Best idea from Bath + Body Works. We go through a ton of candles, and it’s great to have these space saving candles to use whenever we need to. Guys, there’s a romantic candle scene in this book. Like the moment we all imagine happening to us. Now there aren’t scented candles in it, but this is the closest I can get to the scene without telling you everything. It’s a great one.
6. Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate: You can pretty much get a box of hot chocolate like this for under 2 bucks anyway. This reminds me of a sweet moment that Phyre and her best friend share, and also later on, when our main character realizes she is not much of a tea drinker.