This Christmas by Katlyn Duncan [twitter | website]
Previously reviewed on RBR: This Summer
Publication Date: November 18, 2014
Publisher: Carina UK
Pages: ebook novella
Target Audience: Mature Young Adult / New Adult
Keywords: Christmas in the woods,
Format Read: ARC from Publisher (Thank you!)
Summary: After their first semester together in New York, Hadley and Will need some time together to reconnect. He feels distant and distracted; she feels worried and scared. This isn’t the end, is it?
- Hello, hello, hellooooo Hadley and Will. They’re as imperfect and STEAMY as ever. Phew.
- This is a novella so it’s a nice little reunification with two great characters to sort of pop in, catch up, and then carry on about your day. I’ve kind of been wary of the whole “novella” thing because I WANT A WHOLE BOOK, but there are some major positives here: a) I finished a whole “book” in a day, and b) that made me feel incredibly accomplished, and c) it was nice to pick up where we left off and not have to spend tons of time on the backstory.
- Hadley and Will are working through what I think every couple faces through any stage in their relationship: change. How do two people continue to reconnect and stay in love when so many elements are changing for them? (In my marriage this year: Dustyn’s gone back to grad school and that’s been a big game-changer. In so many ways I could relate to tiny little elements of the story because I’ve so been there.)
- The setting is amazing for getting you in the Christmas spirit: a remote, quiet cabin in the woods. Surrounded by snow and pine trees. (Pssst. Did you catch that they’re all by themselves? Ahem.)
- Uh, it’s a novella. That can be a plus and a minus, right?
- Maybe because it is on the shorter side, there are a few moments that feel a little jerky and Hadley’s mind is so quickly changed.