This past weekend, I took Susane Colasante’s new book, City Love, to my favorite park in Long Island City and read about three girls — a local and two transplants — who were beginning a new stage in their life in the Big Apple. I love hearing about people discovering the sights and sounds of the city. One of the biggest takeaway from the book is the reminder to LOOK AROUND IT and TAKE IT ALL IN. So those of you who are returning to NYC or visiting for the very first time, don’t let yourself get trapped in a conference center for too long.
Big thanks to everyone who took part in our third annual BEA Part of It series (2013 & 2014). I love hosting it, and while it’s exciting BEA will find a new home in Chicago next year, I’ll miss putting this collection together.
For those of you looking for some city recommendations while you are in town next week or sometime in the future, here’s the full rundown:
- RBR | An ideal NYC day on a budget f/women’s fiction writer Bethany Chase
- Bookish Broads | Gaby & late night picks f/YA writer Alex Bracken
- Novel Sounds | Food & books f/YA writer Jenny Han
- Alexa Loves Books | Parks & Rec f/YA & MG writer Corey Haydu
- Hello, Chelly | Personal To-Do List f/YA writer Heather Demetrios
- Perpetual Page Turner | Jamie hosts publicist Ksenia Winnikki
- Just a Couple More Pages | Food, Bookstores, and More
- Miss Print | Libraries to Visit and Things To Do Nearby
- DJ Writes | Picture Perfect stops f/YA writer Amy Ewing
- Gone with the Words | Jess hosts publicist Jenn Dee & her Must-Sees
- Tabitha’s Book Blog | Lower Manhattan, Brooklyn f/writer Sara Benincasa
- Little Wing Books | Children’s Bookseller Alex on current city loves
- Tripping Over Books | Jersey Girl Shares the City Sights
Resources on the actual conference:
- For knowledge … Hazel at Stay Bookish has documented so many helpful links!
- For scheduling … Nicole at YA Interrobang has recorded all upcoming YA events.
- For truth … Maggie at Just a Couple More Pages tells it like it is.
- For perspective … Hannah at So Obsessed With looks back on BEA 2014.
Remember: Have fun! This is your vacation too! Happy packing & happy travels! xo