From our book-filled homes to yours, we wish you the happiest New Year! We hope 2013 is filled with lots of love, tons of amazing books, and great new memories!
Last year we made bookish resolutions for 2012. We thought it would be fun to do the same for 2013. Here we go!
- Read 100 books.Â I know I read 160 this year, but for most of the year, I was commuting almost 2 hours each day + that’s not the case anymore. Plus I want to concentrate on reading some classics and also conquering some larger books that have been sitting on my bookshelf for a long time. I’m not going to worry too much about numbers this year.
- Think long and hard before I buy a book. It’s not a shock that I’m sort of a shopaholic. Books have really taken the place of the clothes I used to buy + leave tags on in my closet for months and months. By the time I hit December I was just noticing way too many brand new books going unread and I didn’t even LOVE the titles. I want to have a nice collection of books but I also need to calm myself when it comes to opening my wallet. (It’s out of control!!)
- Go to my first book conference?Â As much as I would love to go to ALA, I’m not sure if it’s going to happen. Oh, if I was a millionaire. But I am hoping to be around for BEA this year + finally meeting some fantastic people? I do have to say going to book readings around town is certainly a wonderful alternative.
- Taller bookshelves!Â We just moved into an apartment a few months ago, and all our furniture is very short. And our ceilings are very high. At the moment I have one wide bookcase, and two little ones in the bedroom overflowing with books. With piles on our floor and window sills. I’m thinking something like thisÂ or this? Plus I could multi-use the shelves for dishes and things.
- Hope for lightbulbs.Â I need some new [blog] ideas to hit me! It’s been awhile since I’ve had a good one. But I would love to do more posts like our themed gifts packs + things like that…
- See Magan again! I’m hoping hanging out with Magan will become at least a yearly thing… but I’d feel better if we just KNEW when it was going to happen… Time to start planning a trip!
- Read 100 books.Â I don’t quite know what to expect of myself in 2013 since, ya know, we’re going to be fostering a child soon. That will definitely change things a lot for us, but for now, I’m going to set my goal at 100 and see what happens!
- Give myself a book budget.Â I need to set a spending limit and stick to it. I let my kindle fill up with titles I didn’t get to right away in 2012 and bought books that are sitting in neat little piles on my bookshelves that are still unread.
- Attend another book conference in 2013.Â I really, really want to go to ALA Annual. Chicago?! I’ve never been there. And guess who lives there? Some of my faves – Anna and Tara. Must. Make. This. Happen. More than anything, I want to continue meeting my blogger friends in person!
- See Estelle. As you know, E and I live in two different states, New York (her) and Texas (me). Though we talk and text every single day, I
wantneed to see her. If I could, I’d book a plane ticket to NYC right this second. This should really be priority numero uno.
- Complete our author list.Â This was a fail for me in 2012 since it was one of my resolutions. We still have letters I, N, U, X, and Y remaining. Any book suggestions by authors whose last names begin with those initials? HELP!
- Continue sharing and passing along books.Â I’ve tried really hard to share books with friends and donate others to organizations to a) share the awesomeness and b) help de-clutter our house. I want to continue doing this to make sure that you don’t see me on a future episode of Hoarders.
We are so excited to embark on a brand sparkley new year with all of you! Your support and enthusiasm when
it comes to Rather Be Reading has been so amazing, and we can’t thank you enough! Here’s to 2013!