Good morning, friends!
You might have heard from a little birdie (literally, Twitter!) that Magan gave birth to a gorgeous little girl on Sunday evening! It’s hard to believe after so much planning, squealing, and excitement that she is actually here! I guess it’s no surprise that I wanted to do something special on Rather Be Reading to commemorate her new journey into motherhood and the birth of Miss E. You know how you just get inspired at the right time? Kid President released a super sweet video a few weeks ago, sharing so many worldly lessons and favorites (corn dogs!) with the newest member of his family. So with that little seed, I contacted moms I knew in this community to share their insights and also a little message with Miss E.
First of all, congratulations Magan!!! Â You are going to be a wonderful Mama and enjoy every moment of it! Â I’m not going to warn you about how fast time will go because I guarantee 97% of the people you talk to will remind you of that fact. Â So onto a few real tips…
1. Â You MUST get aÂ Nosefrida. Â Nose aspirators are worthless. Â Seriously, you will thank me within the first year. Â I promise you this.
2. Â Fevers are OKAY. Â All parents freak out a bit when their baby gets a fever, but try to remember that fevers are a good thing! Â It is a sign that your baby is fighting off the infection! Â Obviously… you need to be extra cautious the first few months and when the temperature gets SUPER HIGH, but for the most part, embrace the fevers.
3. Â It is okay to have a filthy kitchen floor. Â With Baby Betty #1 I swept the floor constantly, but then I realized… ya know what? Â It is going to get dirty again within 20 minutes. Â Your house is going to be messy. Â This is normal. Â Don’t miss out on play time over it!
4. Â There isn’t a single Mama out there that really knows what she is doing. Â You will make mistakes and feel completely lost, but you’ll figure it out!
So, remember these 4 things and you will have nothing to worry about. Â 😉 Â Good luck with that beautiful baby!!
Magan! Baby B! You two are going to have such an amazing relationship. When I was asked to participate I wasn’t quite sure what I could possibly say to a mama who is already pretty fantastic. I haven’t dealt with solid foods or a bobble-headed baby that can actually sit unsupported! But wow, M, I know you’ve got this in the bag.
Baby B, you’re so special already. You were special from the moment that your mama and daddy found out you were going to come into this world, and I’m pretty sure you’re special just by coming from amazingly special people, too. There are all kinds of practical advice that people are going to give you when you grow up, but let’s just stick to the basic fundamental baby life lessons and I think you’ll have a great head start in this world.
1. Sleep is good.Â Your mama and daddy love you very much. But they also love sleep, especially when you have needs that make them get up around the clock. We’re talkin’ 5 times in a 4-hour time span in the middle of the morning before the butt crack of dawn. Please sleep when you’re itty bitty. Better yet, sleep all the time, and start that stuff early.
2. Smiles are also good.Â I was pretty nervous about having a baby who didn’t smile. My husband and I like to act silly and crack jokes all the time, so smiling and laughter is just a part of our DNA. I have a niece who basically didn’t smile the entire first year of her life and it was soul-neutering. Granted she was a healthy baby surrounded by people who loved her but oh my gosh baby B you have no idea how idiotically crazy happy you will make people when you smile. They might look a little terrifying when they smile back at you for long periods of time but trust me, they’re not trying to eat your face.
3. Give your parents a break.Â Parenthood is just plain hard. You’ll have a big sister who also needs some mommy-daddy time, but trust me, she’s going to love on you, too. But there are a few things that your mama and daddy may feel inadequate in doing (HAPPENS TO ME ALL THE TIME) but they are doing their best and they are perfect parents to you, baby B. They might get tired or frustrated or confused or sometimes feel helpless and think “OMG how have I been entrusted with yet another human being” but don’t you judge them! You just go on smiling your gummy smiles, because they need reassurance from your sweet face that they are doing everything right, because they are.
4. Never stop being curious.Â Your little brain and baby body are going to grow faster in this year than the rest of your life, or so Google tells me. Never stop wondering. Never stop reaching out and being curious about textures, colors, and faces. Never stop believing something to be new and uncharted territory. Because trust me, a lot of adults feel like they know everything already and it makes them extremely boring and self-centered people. Don’t forget to make new discoveries every day, because your world is a big, big world. It’s a world that is so so blessed to have you in it.
Magan, you’re going to rock this. You’re going to have such amazing memories with your newest little one. She is going to change you even more in ways you’re going to know soÂ soÂ soon! You will be wonderful parents to this tiny baby B! Congratulations!!!
Your new squish, the couch, a Boppy, and your e-reader are going to be your best friends for awhile. Just embrace it. I know everyone will tell you this, but accept everyone’s help. It’s much harder than it sounds, but do it. Let them cook and clean while you enjoy those new baby snuggles (and some reading)! Those early days are the hardest but they go by the fastest.
To Baby B,
I don’t know your parents, not really anyway, but I know enough to say that you are one loved and cherished child already.Â You are going to do amazing things because you have been so loved from day one. You are also going to have incredible taste in books. It comes with the package.
Baby B, as you enter this big beautiful world, I want you to know that your mama is one of the strongest, most selfless and giving people that I know. Â She will move heaven and earth for you, and I know that you will love her with all of your little heart.
â™¥ Â Â â™¥ Â Â â™¥ Â Â â™¥ Â Â â™¥ Â â™¥ Â â™¥ Â â™¥ Â â™¥ Â â™¥ Â â™¥ Â â™¥ Â â™¥ Â â™¥
M + Baby E: There is so much love in this world for both of you, and so much to experience and enjoy together. We are so happy for your family, and all there is to look forward to. Like libraries, eBooks, B&N coupons, friends you never thought you were going to meet and can’t live without, people who support you from near and far, hot chocolate, laughing until your crying, and always finding the awesome in life.
As Kid President says: “You are going to be important. You are going to do a lot! You are going to need a pep talk sometimes. And that’s okay.”
So this is our little way of saying: We are there for you and we love you!
P.S. Stay tuned for more baby fun tomorrow… you aren’t going to want to miss it.