Attention, friends, attention! Today is such an exciting day for Alexa, Rachel, and me.Â Rites of Passage is a review book we were all so, so lucky to receive review copies of. I DEVOURED IT. And recently, Rachel visited Austin, TX (where I live) and we couldÂ not stop talking about this book. We’re each spotlighting fun things about this incredible book (on Wednesday, I’ll do a full review for y’all) because RITES OF PASSAGE IS OUT TOMORROW. That’s right — plan a trip to your local bookstore tomorrow. You won’t be sorry.
Rites of Passage by Joy N. Hensley
Publication date:Â September 9, 2014
Publisher:Â Harper Teen
Target Audience: Young Adult
Keywords:Â Military Academy, sexism, hazing and bullying
Format read: ARC received from the Publisher. (Thank you!)
SYNOPSIS:Â Sam McKennaâ€™s never turned down a dare. And she’s not going to start with the last one her brother gave her before he died.
So Sam joins the first-ever class of girls at the prestigious Denmark Military Academy. Sheâ€™s expecting push-ups and long runs, rope climbing and mud-crawling. As a military brat, she can handle an obstacle course just as well as the boys. She’s even expecting the hostility she gets from some of the cadets who donâ€™t think girls belong there. What sheâ€™s not expecting is her fiery attraction to her drill sergeant. But dating is strictly forbidden and Sam won’t risk her future, or the dare, on something so petty…no matter how much she wants him.
As Sam struggles to prove herself, she discovers that some of the boys donâ€™t just want her goneâ€”they will stop at nothing to drive her out. When their petty threats turn to brutal hazing, bleeding into every corner of her life, she realizes they are not acting alone. A decades-old secret society is alive and activeâ€¦ and determined to force her out.
At any cost.
Now time’s running short. Sam must decide who she can trust…and choosing the wrong person could have deadly consequences.
I had this grand, grand idea of doing a Parent’s Weekend Survival Kit for Sam, but without saying too much, once I reflected back on some events in the book, I realized that just didn’t seem true herÂ story. But of course I still wanted to window shop. I challenged myself to create a Military-themed bootcamp wardrobeÂ because this is so outside of my norm. I don’t own anything like this in my current wardrobe, but after pulling this together, that might change. Enjoy!
- Dr. Martens — CanÂ anyone else remember wearing these in middle school or high school? Anyone? I was OBSESSED. When these showed up during my search, it was like a time warp. How are these coming back in style?! They’re so heavy I hold them soley responsible for my back problems. 😉
- Nice Guise Leggings — If these leggings PROMISED to hide and disguise my thighs, I would buy them in a heartbeat. Right?
- Bomber Jacket — Something I’ve always, always wanted to add to my collection, but seems to always be out of my budget. This Forever 21 version has definitely caught my attention, though!
- Military Dog Tags — It’s undeniable that dog tags had to be part of the wardrobe. I love the font used on these. While I know they aren’t identical to the military ones, I think this is a nice nod toward the originals.
- Aviator Sunglasses — My favorite pair of aviators I’ve owned were from Fossil (like many of my favorite wardrobe staples), but these Ray-Bans are so quintessentially military. I love the variety of colors they come in, too!
- Rucksack Fossil Bag — This bag is listed under the men’s section, but I think it’s the perfect companion for quick trips and would be so easy to pack for a little getaway. (And the interior is orange, which I love!)
BONUS: ENTER OUR GIVEAWAY TO WIN RITES OF PASSAGE: