I’m that person who is always jotting lyrics from songs and quotes from books onto tiny pieces of paper and stuffing them in my purse. Or taking pictures of book pages with my iPhone. That’s a new obsession. Proof:
^ I was reading You Have Seven Messages on a road trip to Connecticut and it was easier to take photos. Review to come!
It was hard to narrow down ten for this list. A lot of the times my favorite quotes are really dependent on how I’m feeling at the time. But these are from a wide range of books from over the years. Enjoy! (Don’t forget to check out Jen’s classy list of quotes over at the Broke and Bookish!)
1. “We had pathetically simple dreams: to do meaningful work we could be proud of, to be together, and to be happy.” from God Shaped Hole by Tiffani Debartolo
I’m always singing the praises of this book. I read it for the first time in 2002 and since then, it has remained one of my favorite books. It’s an epic love story with some edgy, creative writing.
2. “She filed those moments away like precious documents, wore them smooth with memory, collected them like bits of prayers.” from The Comeback Season by Jennifer E. Smith
This line is so beautiful, it makes my heart hurt. Jennifer has such a way with words, and this wasn’t a huge moment in The Comeback Season but I remember falling in love with it.
3. “You hurt me but I love you.” from You Have Seven Messages by Stewart Lewis
Probably the simplest line in the world, but whoa. So true.
4. “Once you think a thought, it is extremely difficult to unthink it.” from Let It Snow by John Green
Another simple thought, pieced together so nicely. And again, TRUTH.
5. â€œMaybe that’s what it all comes down to. Love, not as a surge of passion, but as a choice to commit to something, someone, no matter what obstacles or temptations stand in the way. And maybe making that choice, again and again, day in and day out, year after year, says more about love than never having a choice to make at all.â€Â Â from Love the One You’re With by Emily Giffin
I read over this quote a lot. There are so many quotes about love out there but this one seems to be the most realistic.
6. â€œCertain things, they should stay the way they are. You ought to be able to stick them in one of those big glass cases and just leave them alone.â€Â Â from The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
An oldie but goody. I’ve loved this quote for a long time. Apparently, I’m afraid of change. No a common theme in literature at all.
7.Â Â â€œI thought he should have realized sooner that important people don’t show up very often, and you should hold on to them when they do. Maybe I was smarter than he was all along, because that was something I’d always known.â€Â Â from Other Words for Love by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal
This quote would have been helpful when I was a teenager. Even now, it is.
8. â€œGone for a while / Hoping, always, to return / If you will let me.â€ from Perfect Fifths by Megan McCafferty
There are so many quoteworthy moments in the entire Jessica Darling series. But I like this one the most. It’s about forgiveness and moving forward. Oh those haikus in the fifth book reduced me to sloppy tears. Let me tell you.
9. “In this universe, there are no time machines or keys that can turn hearts back around.” from Love and Leftovers by Sarah Tregay
I probably could have underlined this whole book. But I didn’t, somehow.Â A quote about regret and moving forward. This one is so honest but it takes a lot to really accept its meaning.
10. “It’s not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer.” from Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
This is Wilbur talking about Charlotte. Short and sweet, but I love this quote so much. Classic!
…gotta say, this is probably one of my favorite Top 10 Tuesday memes. I’m so excited to see what everyone else picked!