I’m pretty drawn to tough subject books. I scoured my Goodreads lists and narrowed it down to these FIFTEEN tough subject books instead of ten. (Bonus reads!) Obviously I didn’t follow the rules very well. Some of these were harder than others, but they all have aspects of them that really open your eyes to some difficult-to-discuss topics. If you have recommendations for me, I’d love to know what you suggest I add to my TBR.
I broke these down into a few topics and added brief notes for why they were difficult. No spoilers included. All links go to either aÂ review on Rather Be Reading or Goodreads so you can check out the summaries.
- Rites of Passage — bullying, sexism, hazing
- Tease — teen suicide, bullying
- If I Lie — knowing the secret truth about characters, bullying, ass-hat father
- Some Girls Are — bullying. bullying. bullying. stupid high school.
CIRCUMSTANCES & RELATIONSHIPS:
- The Tragedy Paper — albino character, seclusion, longing after an unavailable girl
- Ketchup Clouds — written to a prisoner, hidden identity of main character
- The Lucy Variations — uncomfortable relationship with an adult, parents dictating every move
- When You Were Here — loss of a parent, misuse of prescriptionÂ pills, loss of sense of self
- Small Town Sinners — discovering one’s own religious beliefs apart from what parents have taught you to believe
- Room — being held hostage, abuse, kidnap, written from the POV of a 5 year old
SEX / ABUSE / PREGNANCY:
- Where the Stars Still Shine — mental/emotional abuse MC suffered from mother’s instability
- Please Ignore Vera Dietz –Â implicit sexual fetish, death of a friend, crumbling friendship
- Me, Him, Them, & It — teen pregnancy + working through the decision to keep, abort, or give up the baby for adoption
- Uses for Boys — language + actual way it was written, but also sexually explicit, borderline uncomfortable for me — sex isn’t described as overly poetic and is raw and often very in-your-face
- Live Through This — sexual abuse by a relative, mental instability of the MC who questionsÂ right from wrong
Which of these books was most difficult for you to read?
What tough subject book recommendations do you have for me?